Sunday, January 8, 2012

Is there a way to get child support while the non-custodial parent is in jail/prison?

Okay let me elaborate. What I (the wife/mom/custodial parent) and my now husband wanted was to get my son adopted by my now husband/the only dad my/our son has ever known. We even sent him the paperwork to sign over his rights and he did but then he went to jail and we found out the paperwork we had sent him and he had signed had some errors and we had to send him another one but by then he had already been arrested. He hardly paid child support as it was but I know I've heard that once a non-custodial parent goes to jail the custodial parent still gets child support from the non-custodial parents social security or something? And is there a way to go to court and show the judge that 1 he is in jail for whatever and not fit as a parent (even thought I'm pretty sure I have full rights - he's never even seen or tried to see my son) and 2 pretty much already signed his parental rights over, while he's in jail? Sorry so jumbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment